Get to Know IDS: Alex Garrison, Online Course Support Technician

We’re taking a look at the Instructional Design Services department one member at a time, highlighting new ideas in instructional technology and what each IDS member can do for MCC instructors. Alex Garrison worked in IDS until 2015. She still teaches information technology at MCC.

Alex Garrison

Alex graduated from the University of Kansas in 2011 with a bachelor’s degree in journalism with concentrations in Islamic studies, political science and poetry. She worked as a reporter and web editor in Lawrence and Topeka until moving to Omaha in April 2013. Always interested in working on the web, she shifted her focus from journalism to I.T. and started in IDS in October 2013. She’s taught herself “just enough programming to be dangerous” and is active in Omaha development meetup groups. She also is an adjunct instructor for MCC currently teaching intro to information technology online.

What’s your specific role in IDS?

I support instructors and students using MCC’s online education software through the Blackboard Support line (blackboardsupport@mccneb.edu or 531-622-2834), teacher-training workshops and this blog. I answer questions, meet with faculty one-on-one and organize, design and deliver various workshops alongside Blackboard Learn administrators Chuck Davis and Curtis Bryant. My main training and support focus is on Blackboard, but I also evaluate and train on new features in Ensemble Video and Office 365.

I started the blogs.mccneb.edu WordPress network and develop and implement WordPress sites for various college projects upon request.

Contact Alex if … you need help with Blackboard Learn, Ensemble Video or any other web technologies to enhance your online classes, including WordPress blogs.

acgarrison@mccneb.edu; 402-457-2769

Update: Alex worked in IDS until 2015. She still teaches information technology at MCC.

Posted in About IDS