Get to Know IDS: Mary Ball, Digital Instructional Designer

After years of contributing to MCC’s early childhood education program as a course developer, lead online faculty member and an adjunct instructor, Dr. Ball has joined IDS in its newest position: Digital Instructional Designer.

Before joining IDS full time, she worked in instructional design and technology at Clarkson College and Northeast Community College. Her education includes a master’s degree in adult education with a focus on instructional design and a doctoral degree in adult education from Walden University, which she completed in October.

Check out this interview with Mary to learn more about her role and how she can help MCC faculty.

Mary Ball

What do you hope to bring to your new role within IDS?

I hope that my experience and education brings assistance to faculty in creating digital content in a variety of formats for a diverse population of learners — I plan to consult with faculty on making digital resources that meet their objectives and goals. I am very versed with how to create activities to meet objectives, tying those activities to assessment and then using assessment results to revise or recreate the activities based upon student need. I would love to collaborate with faculty on enhancing their technical skills and using technology in the classroom.

A few tools that I love to use are Padlet, iSpring Pro, Camtasia, Softchalk, graphic organizers, rubrics, classroom assessment techniques, Bloom’s taxonomy, ePortfolios and flipped curriculum.

Do you help only online faculty, or can you help instructors who teach face-to-face as well?

I believe that I am a resource for all faculty. Though I will be working closely with online faculty, I would also like to encourage faculty who teach in the traditional classroom to utilize my services by web-enhancing their traditional course. Web enhancing is using the learning management system (Blackboard) to provide content to learners, allow learners to submit work and take assessments and to use the Gradebook for record-keeping. The LMS is available at any time and makes it easier to convert courses to online formats, too.

What is your favorite part of working in education?

I love education and I love that we can bring it to everyone. I think it’s wonderful to learn from others and I’m a big believer in promoting the ability for all people to learn.

Contact me if you’re interested in: Developing new (or rejuvenating existing) courses or creating digital learning materials and assessments for online, hybrid and face-to-face courses.

mball@mccneb.edu; 531-622-2857; FOC Building 17

Updated: Phone number and office building