Learning More About Mobile-Focused Instructional Design

Several of us are participating in Instructional Design for Mobile Learning (#ID4ML), an open MOOC hosted by Canvas and led by Robin Bartoletti, Rob Power and Whitney Kilgore (cleverly known within the course as the Wayfinders).

The (free!) course starts today, and we’d be very happy to have others join us. I plan on blogging some lessons learned and to continue the discussion here (something the course leaders encourage), so, even if you’re not following along within the course, feel free to hop into discussions here.

Here’s the opening discussion prompt, plus my personal answer.

Why are you interested in instructional design for mobile learning? What experience do you have with mobile learning? There are lots of pros and cons regarding mLearning. What do you see as the biggest pro for using mLearning?

As a department, we have a strong push to encourage media-creation from mobile devices, but I’m not sure how much any of us have looked into how to create mobile-focused learning. I know we’ve had some faculty make great learning materials with mobile devices and create in-class activities that make use of iPad carts, for example, but I want to learn more about how I can support them, especially with a mobile BYOD approach.

As my focus in the department is on Blackboard, my experience with mobile-device-focused learning activities is somewhat limited, though I do support the Blackboard Mobile Learn app for students. The app isn’t a replacement for desktop/laptop access, but I recommend it for on-the-go “check ins” with announcements and the like.

Personally, I’ve never owned a tablet, but I do browse the web on my phone quite a bit, and try to keep any media I create mobile-accessible as well. Technically, only desktop browsers are supported for Blackboard, but I know that a lot of faculty and students do access MCC Blackboard via mobile browsers as well and I do try to keep this in mind.

Tailoring your instructional design for mobile has a big “pro” in the classroom setting — freeing students to get up and move around. Giving students access to devices also empowers them to create media as part of their learning experiences.

What do you think? Follow the conversation on Twitter below and send in your ideas in the comments.

//

Tagged with: , ,